Quinoa is a great food for wee ones – the grain is very versatile and can be added to many recipes, it has a lovely new texture for babies to explore, and it’s one of the few (only?) vegetarian sources of complete protein. We most often use in a pilaf-like stuffing for tomatoes/avocados, or in these cheesy quinoa bites which are easy to handle and make great freezer fodder for quick lunches.
Recipe: Cheesy Quinoa Bites with Tomato & Spinach
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup spinach, cooked and roughly chopped
- ½ cup tomato, finely diced
- 1 cup cheese, grated (check the salt content before going nuts with the cheese though!)
- Pinch black pepper
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Using a teaspoon, fill a mini muffin tin (silicone muffin tins work a treat with this!). Pack the quinoa down well with the spoon, so that it forms a solid cake when cooked.
- Bake at 190c/170c fan/gas mark 5 for about 16-18 minutes, or until the bites are cooked through and a bit golden on top.
- Cool & serve, or freeze individually to fill up a freezer bag.
You can mix anything in there, really – broccoli, cauliflower, fresh herbs, sweet potato, etc. Just keep the quantities roughly the same.